Renewing a cedar chest

Photo by samer daboul on Pexels.com

Oh my goodness I finally found a chest to put our blankets in when we are not using them. It’s been something that I’ve wanted to get for a while. Before getting the cedar chest, a lot of our blankets were either piled up on top of each other in a corner on the floor somewhere or piled on our ottoman. It was so annoying. In our house, it originally had only one narrow linen closet for the entire house with 4 bedrooms. After we moved in, we added a very small and narrow linen closet for the upstairs. Even though it helped us with a little more storage space, it didn’t really help us out much with all the blankets that we have. Our blankets are quite chunky and heavy and take a bit of space. I just knew we needed to get some sort of trunk or chest to put the blankets away when not in use.

I have to say it took some time to find what I was looking for. Getting a trunk or a cedar chest is not cheep. I’ve looked in various places for new and old ones. The new ones are way too expensive. We didn’t want to put in too much money. Some previously owned ones were not cheap either. Plus finding the one I was looking for was really narrowing down my options.

For a while, my husband and I would look on FB Marketplace to hopefully find the one we like and for a descent price. Oh my goodness what we found were quite interesting. Some were more than what we wanted to invest in. Some were just too out of shape to even fix up. Honestly this was just suppose to be a fun little project for me to do. Upcycling a piece of furniture for a low price was the goal here. Finally one day my husband found one on sale for like $30. I was perfect! The right size and the right look that I wanted for the space that I had in mind.

Well unfortunately I did not take a picture of a before cedar chest. I am quite bummed. Don’t know why, but as you can see above the beginning process of fixing up the chest. The stripping and sanding took a bit of time. More than what I was expecting to do, but it was worth it when it was all done.

Next step, cleaning up and picking the paint colors to paint it.

Thankfully it was a sunny day and perfect for painting the chest outside. As you can see I chose a white paint that we had in our garage for some time now. It was from when we previously painted a room. I painted the base of the chest white and chose a gray paint, from a previous project, to paint the top. The colors I chose goes well with the room that it will go in.

After the paint dried from two coats, I used a fine grit sandpaper to sand down the edges to give it a distressed look. I think it looks pretty cool.

Last step, finding its home and fulfilling its purpose.

Well it was finally time to put it in its new home, the family room. I am so thrilled of how it turned out. No more blankets piled around on the floor or on top of the ottoman or even occasionally just hanging out on the couch. A home for our blankets. So glad I went through this process. I was fun and gave me something to do being stuck at home.

I do have another furniture decor upcycle in the works. I hope to finish it soon to share it with you all.

See you next time,

Janette

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s