Oh my goodness it’s been a while. The last couple of weeks went by quickly. I have been busy with a couple of projects and buying a few things for more projects to work on. This one particular project that I will talk about covers both upcycling an item (which I try to do as much as possible) and macrame (a new love). This is an upcycle project that I’ve been wanting to do, but didn’t know exactly the direction I wanted to take it. Then I finally figured something out and it includes my new hobby.
So below is a picture of what I started with.
I didn’t really like the shade. I know it would be easier to just purchase a new shade but I wanted to include my new hobby, macrame. So I gutted out the shade. It was double sided on outside and inside of the shade frame. Gutting it out was somewhat challenging but I got it all off.
On Pinterest and Instagram, I saw many examples and posts of macrame lampshades. There are so many great ideas. Such variety of styles and looks to make. I found I believe a 9mm 3-ply rope at my local dollar store. Oh my gosh, I couldn’t believe they are starting to carry this particular item. I was so excited and grabbed a few. So I cut a piece of that chunky rope and hot glued it to the top rim of the shade. I then used my 3mm 3-ply cord and strung it around the top portion of the shade. Below are some pictures of what I did.
My next step was to cut out several pieces of my 3mm 3-ply cord that was about 3-4 times the length of the lamp shade. (The length will depend on the kind of detail you want on the macrame. If it is a design with lots of detail, then you should add more cord length before cutting pieces.) I did a Lark’s Head knot on each cord piece and tied enough to go all the way around. Below is picture of what I did.
Once I did that, created a design that was simple enough to make and multiplied it around the shade. I used Diagonal Clove Hitch knots, Square knots, and Overhand knots. I then tied the cords to the bottom of the shade. Below are some pictures of what I did.
To finish things off, I added more cord using Lark’s Head knots all around the bottom rim of the shade. I cut off the cord unevenly and frayed the ends off to give it a flowing and finished look. Below is a picture of this step.
I think it turned out great. I love how it turned out. Now the lamp has a whole new look. I also changed the light bulb to a LED bulb so it wouldn’t get too hot and burn the cord. Also this lamp is not a lamp I use all the time. It’s more for when I want some dim lighting when I am watching T.V.
I had a lot of fun working on this project. It took a little bit of time but I think it was because this was my first try at it. Now I’m looking around my house seeing if I can transform other lamp shades or transform other items with macrame.
I truly hope you enjoyed this. I have done other macrame projects. If you like to check them out, you can go to my Instagram account @jscreativeinnovations.